Sunday, August 2, 2009

What is the substitue for a puppy feed for a 7 weeks old pup? I am conscious abt the pet food contamination.?

Want to give something like egg, curds, rice mashed, or cerelac? ( Is it ok?) My friend is feeding her pup on porridge, apple, lentil soup, boiled egg.
Note: I have a black male labrador.
I might buy pet food too but here seen so many cases in my area of pet food contamination. hence worried.
Answers:
Feeding human food is only good if you get the ingredients you are feeding balanced by a vet nutritionist otherwise you may leave out essential ingredients that your dog will need.
Feed a holistic brand one without corn, wheat, gluten, soy and rice protein concentrate and stay away from canned foods as dogs really do not need it.
I have been using a great brand of holistic food called Life's Abundance- formulated by a holistic vet and very nutrient dense and great for your dog in all life stages.
My four dogs from puppy to senior all eat it and love it and are very healthy. You can only get it online so check out my source.
Thank you for caring about your dog and wanting to do the best for your pet.
Your friend sounds like she knows what she's doing! When I first got my dog (although it's a lot smaller than yours... it's a jack russel!) I fed it on porridge and similar soft foods. Rice mashed I never tried but it sounds like a good idea. Young dogs need energy foods, carbohydrates that release energy slowly so porridge, rice, bread and milk mashed together and weetabix are good ideas. You are right to be concerned about pet food contamination, especially as your pup is still so young. I'd advise you to stay away from meat and similar pet foods for the time being. My mum also used to mash up digestive biscuits and mix them with boiling water and bovril, vegemite or marmite. (Obviously let it cool before giving it to him!) Hope this helps.
That's not a balanced diet.. You should feed a balanced diet of kibble. Especially for a puppy so young. He needs a good strong start, and feeding him an unbalanced diet won't do him any justice at all.

Check out the Canidae All Life Stages

www.canidae.com/
Not on the recall list..
Check http://avma.org
for the latest recall info.

I still have my pups on kibble. Mine are on Innova EVO...also not on the recall list...it has NO GRAINS.

No comments:

Post a Comment