Sunday, August 2, 2009

What is wrong with my dog?

My dog recently broke her leg and it now has a cast on it and appears to be healing well. She is on rimadyl for the swelling and pain of her leg. She had been acting fine a few days after she got her cast on but now she is sleeping all day, not eating, not drinking water unless I make her, and she is very tired and lethargic. So I took her to the vet again and they told me she might be in heat.
She is still bad and I just can't imagine that she would act like this just because she is in heat. Anyone had a similar situation?
She is a female, 1 yr old, pembroke welsh corgi.
Answers:
she has become a pill popping junkie. Take her to drug rehab
she is retarted
it is toooooooo old
Maybe the medication is not agreeing with her. Call your vet and explain the symptoms.

Seems Rimadyl can cause gastric problems and bleeding. Some dogs have died taking it. I wouldn't give the Rimadyl to my dog. Here is a link to explain the side effects:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_rim...


Hey Anwar: It is spelled retarded. You retard.
even ppl sometimes fall into depression after a bone break. sometimes something is released into the blood that causes this. and also heat can make a dog feel well..crappy lol just like girls.
Could it be a side effect of the meds? Or mabe depression from the cast? These are possibilties but to be sure I would get a second opinion.
Could be the medication.
seems to me like your vet would have given you a better answer than that. I'd do a web search for Rimadyl and see what kind of side effects have been linked to that medicine. Also get on the phone with your vet again and get a better diagnosis. Being in heat wouldn't make your dog lethargic and not want to eat. I've got dogs and cats, and i know how you feel, it's hard to see your animal in pain or suffer, talk to your vet again. :o)
It may be the medication. You said she was fine for a few days. Sometimes it takes some time for meds to really take affect in the system. Her leg is healing, so that is great. You may just have to assist her in eating and drinking. Try feeding her some chicken broth a few times a day. I did this to a dog that was so sick he wouldn't get up and he was fine in a week. I would also do a research on the med she is taking.

Give her a few days to a week even after she is done with the meds because they may take a day to get out of her system. If you have any more problems, take her back to the vet.
First.. why is she not spayed????? and take her to another vet. something is not right with your dog.
heat means she getting ready to like have puppies right? That could be why. Or maybe it's something with the medication.

No comments:

Post a Comment