Thursday, July 30, 2009

What is the best thing you've found for a doggie chew that removes hard tartar?

My three Chihuahuas will not let me brush their teeth, and believe me I try it daily, and I can't rely on petstore employees as they only know what they have heard from the company reps who push the things. I do not want young, toothless Chi's, darn would that be sad or what?
Answers:
The only thing that is going to remove hard tarter is for them to go under anesthesia %26 have a full dental scaling. This gives the dr a good look at what's going on in your dog's mouth %26 if there are any other problems. It can become a serious health problem if left untreated. Once all of that nastiness is gone, then you can think of going with chews (such as the CET) to help keep the tartar down.
But as Virbac says, "Good to chew, better to rinse, but best to brush."
Hello...rawhide, tho most little dogs do not like them well %26 tho this will create waves ...RAW ( NEVER COOKED) chicken necks ... bones %26 all is safe when RAW - NEVER COOKED...I have lots of friends %26 professional breeder friends who do this diet ONLY, they won't even use baged, canned nor pouched foods %26 they were like this looooong before the recall ... great for keeping teeth clean !!Take Care :) P.S. NEVER nyla, greenies or denta bones, stick with Nature made, created chews not Man-Made, which is also causing illness %26 death in pets !!!
Greenies work well, but I believe that they are overpriced.
I hear that RAW beef (steak) has something in it that cleans their teeth. I know many breeders who swear by it. They just give each dog a piece big enough for them to have to chew it. I think they do it about once or twice a week. I bet your dogs would love that.
If your dogs have tartar buildup, maybe you should switch foods. I feed mine canidae (supplemented with raw diet) and their teeth are great. I've never brushed their teeth.
I will list some chews, but first an approach you can try to brush their teeth.

I have a chihuahua myself that was very keen on making sure I was unable to brush his teeth. At first, I started treating him with small treats getting my hand closer and closer to his mouth. I did five minute sessions five time a day for two days. During each session, I would bring my hand closer until after day two, I was rubbing the inside of his mouth while treating. This had the effect of him associating my rubbing his gums with treats and he actually started looking forward to it by day three. On day three, I introduced some toothpaste to my fingers and continued by just rubbing his teeth and gums. After a week, I introduced the thoothbrush and now he is very fond of it.
You do have three chi's and it can be very difficult training them all at once. You may want to start off with one the first week and then continue another for week two etc.
If you are just looking for chews, I found that knuckle bones, bully sticks, and nylabone healthy edibles are all very effective at removing some tartar. I would however, recommend training them to brush their teeth. Also, keep up with a yearly dental cleaning.
Hope this helped
rawhide or dental chews

lol, i would recommend different dogs ;)
labs are much better ;)
theres a really good dental chew at PetSmart, called C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews for Dogs. Virbac makes them. The vet reccomended them to me as an alternative to brushing.
I don't like rawhide chews as most are bleached with chemicals and also when they broken down an gnawed soggy the dogs sometimes try to swallow prices that are too big , same problem with greenies, which can then result in lifethreatening obstructions,

To me the best dental treat is still the good ole raw beef knuckle bone from the butcher. even with dogs that have existing tartar the gnawing action will help to scrape the tartar off their teeth, the bones should be frozen first and then thawed in the fridge to help kill off bacteria, start them off with only 15 minutes chewing time at first( as some if they have too long in the beginning with get very soft stools if you give regularily it does not bother them to chew on longer), collect up and freeze again you can give once of twice a week until they worked off the meat and grizzle before buying new bones, Just be careful we you go to collect the bones some do not like to part with the bones too easy, it's not that it is making them agressive, it is just that they enjoy them soo much and want to continue chewing, so you may have to offer an alternative treat with some dogs to retrieve
do not give your dog raw meat if you want to give them raw meat boil it fist because it removes all the bacteria that can make you dog sick the pedigree dentabone has chicken in it o they will want to eat it yes they are suppossed to eat it and it cleans their teeth good also there is just a mouthwash that you can use but only the one for dogs not for humans
Feed RAW, their teeth will be pearly white in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment