Friday, July 31, 2009

What is the easiest way you know to instill ear drops into a labs ears?

My dog has swimmers ear, and I am supposed to put 3 drops into his ears 2 times a day. He immediately starts jumping around, nipping at my hands, pulling away from me.
He weighs 90 lbs and its all I can do to hold him down and at this point, I am not sure how many drops he is getting because it is such a fiasco. I tried to get help from my nephew, but he made it worse. The dog is still in his puppy stage. He acts terrible.
Any suggestions?
Answers:
What you can do is come up behing the dog, and straddle it, squatting down. Put your right hand over your dog's muzzle, pushing to the right. Put your head against your dog's (ear to the back of the head, not your chin), and calmy massage the dog's neck, shoulder, and eventually around the ear. Have someone come up calmy with a treat in one hand, and the mediaction in the other. Have them wave the treat in his face while you massage him, and try your best to get the meds in his ears. If you squish the end of is ear near the back of his head together with you thumb and forefinger, this feels very nice to a dog and may get him to calm down.
boy do i know that.. our vet told use to use a muzzle (which calms them down and protects you aswell) then take it off and give the dog a major treat that he would only get after you do his ears (eazy mac would great). It took 2 times with my dog and now she doesnt put up any fight because she knows that there is a special treat in the end
Scruff him by the neck. Momma dog would if he acted badly with her.
i rubbed my labs ears a lot and she loved that. it got her used to me playing with her ears i guess. now I just start rubbing them and then put the drops in and keep rubbing. she doesn't like it but tolerates it... good luck
I would have 2 people do it get a thick blanket and wrap him in it and them hold him down the put the drops in
You know what.. Don't think about it, worry about, or even stress on it.. Dog is sleeping on the couch, You have your drops sitting on the coffee table.. When he is relaxed and sleeping.. Pick up your drops and swifly lean over there and drip drip drip put in your drops.. Rub his ear and let him go.. When he is relaxed again, get the other side.

Don't let him feel that you are worried about this, cause then he'll be on edge wondering what's going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment