Thursday, July 30, 2009

What is the best type of dog to get?

i need one that is good with kids and protective.
Answers:
G.S.D, Labs,Goldens,JRT,Beagles, poodles(Miniature and up),French bull dog, Boston Terriers,English Bull Dog,All hound breeds,Border Collies,Westies,Am Staff Terrier,Boxers.
Try to stay away from Cockers,Chows,Chihuahuas,Shi Tzu%26#039;s,Pom%26#039;s,Rotties,Spitzes,an... "Designer Breeds"
German sheperds are really good. I had one when I was 5 and he never hurt me in any way, and he was an awesome guard dog.
chihuahua
I would suggest a rottwieler. People make them sound agressive and bad, but they are not. They are docile and very very trainable. They love to have any kind of job. And they are naturally protective of their home, but know there masters! I have won now, and he is the best dog I have ever had in the past 3 years. He saved my life. An intruder broke in and he ran into my room, but Blaise was there and attacked him until he was begging me to get the dog off of him. Or a labrador retreever.
The best type of dog is the one that suits your lifestyle, your energy level, training ability, etc. You need to research breeds yourself, find a breed you like the looks of, then research that breed to find out if it seems suitable.

When you have some breeds narrowed down, you can either attend a dog show to see the dogs in person and meet and talk to breeders and owners, or contact breeders and ask a lot of questions about the dog.

There's so many breeds out there and you need to find the one that's right for you, not one recommended by someone who just happens to have that breed.
But of course it's a golden retriever. Safe around kids.
jack Russell terrier...they love kids..;)) and they are also protective...
Pit Bull!!

they are called "nanny dogs", that should give you a hint about their way with kids.

The dog will protect you, not your stuff though.

They are really goofy and need to be properly trained, but are one of the most awesome dogs in the world bar none!
Shih Tzu is the best especially ofr kids htey cute, cuddly, protective and if the child has allergies this dog wont affect the child
Lab. Thats what I got, and even when we r playing with him, he just barely bites us. Its just little nibbles. Hes my first dog and its been about 1 year and a half now and we got him when he was a puppy (boy that was fun) just when u get a dog, make sure that he cant get out. my dog did, and he got shot..ON CHRISTMAS..jeez that sucked. but im glad he survived :D but i say either a lab or a german shepard.

Sorry for the life story!
Go onto AKC website and there is a test you can take to determain your lifestyle, that would answer a lot, I grew up with a queensland healer/blue healer. I really love the english bulldogs if you dont have a lot of time, the smaller dogs may be too nippy towards the kids. bernise mountain dog too, i heard is GREAT with kids.
labs are loyal and great with kids
There are many on-line pet quizzes you can take to help you choose the right kind of dog: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art1...
We have a boxer. She's very sweet with my children (and other children), she looks mean, and is quite protective. Boxer are protective, but not aggressive. They need to be around people a lot and they need a lot of exercise. I would also recommend training classes. We like clicker training.
Get a dog that suits you, your family, your yard and house.
Don't get a BIG dog, if you dont plan on alot of exercise and room. Don't get a little dog if you plan on taking it running... When i got my Wheaten I wanted a dog who i could spend hours with teaching it tricks and going walking with... So i read that when you go pick him bring some toys... A ball maybe and bounce it around. watch how they watch it. For me I wanted the dog to be able to follow it up and down and chase it... but then i also wanted him to be able to play alone if needed. I finally found him and hes PERFECT (except he has allergies which i cannot help)... Anyways.. I knew I couldnt get a HUGE dog like a rott (my 1st choice), but i knew i didn't want anything smaller then 40 pounds... So gow ith what fits you. not by what we say.. we all like different things, and you have to like your dog, not regret what you got.
From what i've learned my pup doesnt bark much and that also suits my lifestyle.
good luck!
Cockapoo. There small, smart, loyal, friendly, happy to see you, protective, they don't shed. And because they are a mix bred they 're inexpensive. Unlike the AKC brands listed they don't cost an arm and a leg.
Huskies are great dogs. I had a Siberian Husky/Alaskan Malamute/American Eskimo mix (pretty much the most beautiful dog you could imagine) when I was 4. I had her for 14 years, she was such a great dog for me. Never once was I bit and she never played rough with me. I've read this about other huskies too, they are very gentle dogs with people and generally with other animals. They do have a lot of strength (obviously, because they were bred for pulling.) She wasn't the most protective dog though. Why? Because she (like most huskies are) was very social, welcoming, and friendly. Protection usually involves defense, and well huskies aren't generally very defensive dogs because they're so gentle.

You shouldn't worry about protection too much, I mean you can't depend on a dog to keep your child safe. A pit bull or rottweiler (or a 'bad' dog of any breed) could always come along and do damage to both a dog and a child, even if the dog was trying to protect the child. You can't depend on an animal to supervise your children, but I do know where you're coming from and what you mean.
My opinion is a golden retriever. I'm sure it will be playful and a nice friend to have with you.
I have had 1 purebred German Shepard and 2 "mutts" (All American as me %26 my friends refer to them.)The "mutts worked out best and lived longer. The mutts have some hound dog in them along with "birddog" too. The bird dog is what gives them a gentle mouth and they just nibble and don't biteThe Retriever in both of them meant they would play fetch and of course the "Hound' kinda makes them "laid back" The Australian sheppard in both dogs ,well, what they would do is circle my grandkids and keep them away from stairways and doors. My wife and I can't "cuddle or wrestle" cause both dogs I have had would jump into the mixand weren't really sure who to protect but if I grabbed my wife in a threatening way they would come after me, and vice versa. So ,Get a Mutt
We have had 4 golden retrievers in the past 27 years. Our children grew up with them. They were always so gentle and loving... the kids were gentle and loving too ha ha ! They do shed but that is such a small price to pay for such great dogs. Easy to train, smart and great personalities. They are protective but not to such a degree that you would have to worry.
They love to run and play with the kids and they also love to curl up and snuggle with them. I cannot say enough about what great pets Golden's can be. You will be so happy...good luck !!!
the above answers are suggestions that you have got from people that don't know your lifestyle, or what situation you are in. Take this quiz, and there will be a list of your ideal breeds.

http://www.selectsmart.com/dog/...

hope I helped!
xx.
Cane Corso there heads are as big as a truck but good dogs
Rottweilers are soooo flipping awsome!! will protect you, your stuff, and are very very easily trained. my grandma had two of them, the male was the best dog i have ever seen in my life!! she lives way out on 120 acres, and the cops went out there because they were lookin for someone and the male rottie kept them in one spot while the female circled them to make sure they stayed away from the house! sadly both dogs recently died of old age. it was sad.

also great pyranese dog are wonderful with children, and are bred to be gaurd dogs, they look like giant teddy bears and love people, but will defent you, your kids, property and other pets, such as livestock, cats, and other dogs!
German Shepherd Dog!!

www.weberhausgsd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment