Thursday, July 30, 2009

What is the best toy for a staffy?

I have brought a few ball toys and rope toys. But the balls keep getting eaten and the rope toys he cant play with himself when alone. What is a good toy for my staffy without it being eaten or destroyed and something that he'll play with when on his own?
Answers:
Hi there I am a Veterinarian Technician and a large breed mom (Newfoundlands, Saint Bernards)! I hope to offer you a few suggestions! Since I do work in the vet field I am VERY picky (and very careful!) as to which bones/chew toys I give my dogs because, as you probably can imagine, I have seen so many cases where toys end up putting dogs on our surgery table.

I will only give my dogs the following three toys: Kongs, Nyla Bones and Natural bones (which can all be found at Petco, Petmart) are wonderful for large breeds!

Kongs are awesome for chewers and your dog will not be able to get any pieces off of it, which is a really good thing!You can fill the Kong with peanut butter, freeze water (or chicken broth), or hide treats inside to keep him occupied for a bit so you can enjoy a little uninterupted time!

The Nyla bones are great because they are indestructiable (per maker), so no matter how much your pup chews away you will never have to worry about him swallowing any pieces at all. Don't be afraid to purchase the largest Nyla bone they sell. Your Staffy can handle it!

Natural bones are a favorite amoung my large breeds! They will literally sit and chew them for an hour at a time. Even my two puppies (10 months and 7 months). They are great because they are not dipped in any chemicals (they are boiled) and are competely natural (hence-the name). Your lab will be able to chew pieces off the bone, however, because the bone is boiled he will only be able to get small pieces off at a time. Again, get him the largest size they have. I do take the Natural Bones away from my dogs once they are down to about 2 inches left of the bone (it takes them virtually forever to get down to that point) just to be on the safe side! I don't want anyone swallowing the last bit of the bone.

I hope this was helpful! I am sure your dog will LOVE them!! And please stay away from rope toys and rawhides. Rope toys should only be offered to a puppy under 6 months and rawhides are dipped in a chemical preservative and will most likely give your dog diahrrea.

Good luck!
Try a Kong.Get the Black one made for hard chewers. Nylabones are decent too.I know that they make a few toys for dogs that are for power chewers. Look for that term on the toy.(Power Chewer)Try Petco.
I have an Am Bulldog/Staffy mix, so I can relate.They are HARD chewers. My puppy LOVES his Kong. We have a red one, but are going to need to upgrade to black soon, as they are stronger and more durable. He also chews and eats beefhides (NOT rawhides) and they last him awhile. Kongs are probably the best option, and they make all different styles with lots of treat ideas. It will keep him entertained for hours.

Best of luck!
I have a great dane/shepherd power chewer mix. Our best toys for him are Kong toys - they make all sorts of toys, even balls or balls on ropes - there's a ton. Plus you can do all sorts of things with them - stuff kibble, peanut butter, some beggin' strips, freeze chicken broth in them...the possibilities are endless!

A bone that I've found to be absolutely amazing is by Nylabone - it's called a Galileo. This thing is basically indestructible. My dog can destroy just about every bone within a half hour - this thing he has actually had for a few months. I'm assuming he'll need one in another two months time, but it keeps him occupied. It's kind of like his pacifier.

Good luck!
Try the in-destructiball. Black kongs. Leo Genious stuffed with goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment