Thursday, July 30, 2009

What is the best way to convince someone to give you their dog?

My fiance is a landscaper. He has a customer that has a poor little dog in a rabbit cage. The family is hardly ever home. They have their own restraunt and spend most oftheir time there. I have known the people for 2 years now. They are really nice people and I don't want my fiance to lose them as customers. I am having one problem. I have watched this poor little for 2 years now. He is not neglected, as in he has food and water, and the cage is always clean. This is the only thing they do for him. Sometimes I go with my fiance when he cuts their grass. I will sit there and pet him and talk to him and he loves this. I feel so bad when I have to leave. I have talked to the neighbor and they have told me they never leave the poor dog out of the cage. I am getting tired of having to leave him there. Everytime I do it breaks my heart. I don't think this poor little dog deserves a life like that.
Answers:
Just ask.
Being a rescue I do this all the time. You really want to get them to sign off and get all the paperwork. I really wouldn't suggest stealing it. Ask them in a non-judgemental way. Say "I've fallen in love with your dog. Would you consider selling him to me?"

You might be surprised. I always offer the money. I figure $20 is money well spent. Chances are they won't let you pay anyway. Tell them you know they have busy lives.
Just ask them for him and tell him that you are very fond of him. They may decide to give him to you. You never know until you ask.
Just reading this story is heart breaking to me...and I can't imagine how you must feel. Perhaps you could simply address the situation by stating that maybe it would be easier if you took care of the dog. Entice them by saying that you will let them visit, but the dog would have a nice yard and more area to run. This might be appealing to them and then they don't have to think about care for the dog. If the situation worsens or remains the same you could call pet control and let them know about this. Let them know the dog is not being abused but you feel the dog is getting mistreatment. Then tell them you are interested in adopting the dog. I hope whatever happens works out for you and your fiance.
Just let them know you have fallen in love with it and ask if they would consider letting you have him. Do not mention that it is for welfare reasons. They have seen you with it and you have spoken to them about it so it sounds like they are approachable.

Well done and good luck.
You said it yourself "... He is not neglected".
You have no recourse in this matter.
are you close neighbors? do they visit your home often? no? steal the dog. cage and all.


OK OK i can't advocate dognapping. they might have kids whose hearts would be broken. just tell em you love their dog and maybe they will let you have him.
Sad story, I can't stand bad owners...

That being said, you need to make them want to give the dog to you. Next time you see them start gushing about how much you love the dog and wish you had one like it. Maybe they will open the dialogue, we are not home enough would you be interested in taking him? Somehow you need to let them know how fond you are of the dog, without letting on how neglectful they are being.

If you come off as superior to them or talking down to them it could make it worse for the dog and your husband. Do not bring up anything close to them and neglect. Maybe you can sell them on what a big yard you have, or fenced in property for him to run, or something.

Or let them know you are looking at getting a puppy just like their dog and are worried you may not have enough time to raise it right. Maybe they will let you adopt their dog. I don't know, seems like a tough situation, but a good fight to attempt.
I suggest that you just ask them. Don't mention the fact that they have this poor dog abandoned, but just tell them that you love him and you'll be able to give him the time and love he deserves. Even if they don't say yes, at least they won't take it wrong.
Next time you see them, why don't you ask them if you can just take him for the day? As in, you just want to spend time with him, take him the park, etc.because they are so busy. See if they go for that first? If they don't, then you probably won't have much success in getting them to give him to you. But if you they let you, you can try spending more and more time with him...they might even see that he's happier. Maybe after then, you can carefully bring up the subject with them.
Perhaps fiancee could tell the people that you are really captivated in their nice dog and would they consider trading landscaping work for it so he can surprise you with a truly wonderful gift.

Perhaps you could go to them and tell them how much you think of their dog and would they be willing to part with it as a surprise gift to fiancee?

Offer to pay $$ for the dog.

OR, offer to trade washing dishes for X number of days until you've earned the dog. I've worked in restaurants and dishwashing is a dreaded but much needed task. Offer to work for "minimum wage" until you've earned the dog.

Of if they won't part with Fifi, then chalk it up to one of life's unfortunate situations.

Good luck.
I can fully understand were you are coming from.
Could you not tell them that you have been looking for a dog %26 have been around theres so much that you both have grown fond of each other kinda thing %26 ask if he would be willing to sell it to you for a small price?
i say you should just ask them. but don't say anything about the dog being able to play more or anything because the owners will most likely take offense to that and not sell the dog to you. just tell them that you have completely fallen in love with the dog. then they won't think that you are saving it from them but saving them from it.

lying isn't the best way to go but if worse comes to worse you can just tell them that your grandmother, or someone, had a dog just like it when you were little and that it would mean so much to you if they would sell the dog to you since you've been looking for one and never could find one to look as close as theirs does.
LOL NO WONDER YOU SAID YOU THOUGHT I WAS IN HEAT. SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE ELSE IS IN HEAT TOO, HAHAHAH
I would just say I just feel in love with your dog any way you would let me have him or buy him. I just love him and wish he was mine. I have lots of time to spend with him and i promise to love him and take good care of him. maybe they really dont want the dog but dont know how to get rid of it and they are nice people so their just not gonna kill it. They might just be pleased you asked for the dog. If they seem like you offended them just say oh i was just picking you know i wouldnt want to steal your dog i just love him me and him and buddies. and just blow it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment