Thursday, July 30, 2009

What is the best way to get your dog to take their medicine (pills)?


Answers:
Tilt it's head back and drop the pill. Then close the mouth and gently rub the neck. This helped me. Good luck.
put it in some peanut butter and stick it to the inside top of their mouth. they have no choice but to lick at it till swallowed.
Rosieone's approach works with my dog most of the time but I have had pill spitters before. If that approach isn't working, put it in a little piece of cheese.
I make a pocket in a hot dog and just give that to the dog. Some of my dogs are a little less than cooperative.
you can always stick the pill in there food mush it up or if they eat people food stick it in a hotdog and give it to them may help
Wrap it in cheese.
I wrap it up in a slice of american cheese, and toss it in their mouth (so it's already headed more down their throat).

That's what I do, and they never spit out the pill (only if it's in their mouth too long and they have to chew it alot, which is why I say toss it in while kinda standing over them, so their head it tilted up towards you and back)

Give it a shot, see if it works for your dog
u can put the pill in a piece of cheese or meat or something so they don't know that ur feeding them their pills. thats what we do w/our dog and it works every time!!!
Squeeze Cheese works wonders! :-D
Bribe them with $20 dollars.
Put them in the middle of liverwurst or soft cheese and just feed it to them.
Put the pill in a spoonful of peanut butter and feed it as one big clump to the dog. Or next time request to be given liquid medication, go to your local pharmacy and have them flavor it with "pet flavors" I know we sell salmon, steak, shrimp, chicken, etc, flavors for animals at Osco
I put a dollop of cheese in a can on the pill. the I hold the can over the dog's head while feeding the pill. The dog is so eager to get more cheese from the can I am holding over his/her head, that the dog swallows the pill eagerly. I then give another shot of squeeze cheese.
Make a little ball with bread and hide the pill in it, or with a hot dog, cheese works pretty good, if all fails open his mouth by placing your index finger and you thumb right behind his canines(top of his mouth) with your other hand gently put the pill at the very back of his tongue, it's easier if you only use 2 fingers to do this, after you put the pill as far back as you can close his mouth and rub his throat, this will make him swallow and that should do it!
Soak it in beef juice. That way it will taste like meat and they'll love it.
My dog always loved little pieces of people food no matter what it was. I would make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and pinch off a piece, put the pill inside it and feed it to him. He also loved cheese so sticking it in the middle of a piece of that was easy as well. Tricking them is the easiest method. Barring that, slide your fingers onto the side of their mouths and hold slightly open using a scissor finger technique. Place the pill as far back in their throat, towards the side, as you can, remove your fingers and then hold their mouth shut. They will salivate and swallow. If you have placed the pill far enough back, it will go down as well. Please make sure that you have plenty of water available for them always, but especially when they are on meds. Good luck and have fun!
sometimes putting the pill in a hot dog or piece of cheese or another piece of food can trick your dog into thinking they're getting a treat, but they are also taking their medicine.
I like using a piece of cheese. I get 3 small pieces of cheese and push the pill inside one piece, I then toss my labX the 2 pieces without the pill and then I toss her the one with the pill. She doesn't even notice the pill and swallows it down no problem. This worked for my little Shih-tzu when she had a urinary tract infection as well and i had to slip her her antibiotic.
get a piece of slice cheese %26 roll the pill in it.
What I do is put the pill in a piece of meat, cheese or peanut butter, sometime I even use butter. Wrap the pill up and have a extra so you give your dog the first piece with the pill and then the second. This way the dog has to swallow twice and it goes right down and your dog thinks a treat was just given. If your dog doesn't want to eat then tilt his/her head back put the pill as far back as you can, then close the month and rub the throat. Good luck;^)
Hide it in food. I use soft treats and stick the pill inside and my puppy doesn't even know she's taking medicine. I'm sure you could use a little bit of bread, or cheese, or wrap the pill in a little bit of lunchmeat. Just make sure its something tasty, so they eat it fast enough that they don't realize the pill is present.
put it in the pets food and make sure that you grounded it up throught out the food. Make sure they dont leave any behind.
I wrap it in cheese or a piece of meat. Bread is good also they go chop chop and its gone.
Hold the dog steady between your legs..crouched and then open the dogs mouth and put the pill under their tounge, close and weight maybe 10 seconds but eventually they would swallow it

No comments:

Post a Comment