Thursday, July 30, 2009

What is the best way to give my dog medicine,he will not take it simply by offering it too him they are pills?


Answers:
put it in a treat
my vet suggested putting it in a piece of bread. it works for me, but now my puppy begs for bread
Put the pills inside a piece of hot dog. They never chew treats like this and down they go!
I use a hot dog- they are cheap and dogs love them and it is easy to shove the pills in. Make it small enough for one gulp and have another small piece ready for right after the one with pill and it will forsure go down.
Good luck
No such thing as a dog that doesn't love a peanutbutter sandwich
I have used raw cookie dough, works like a charm! Or hiding it in a piece of cheese or bit of meat will do the trick, too. The "experts" say butter the pill, stick it as far back in your dogs mouth as you can, hold his muzzle closed, tip his snout up and rub his throat. Supposedly, the rubbing makes him swallow, and down goes the pill. I have had limited luck with that method, myself. Easier to just put it in something yummy and let them gulp it down. Good luck!
If it's a small dog put it in peanut butter, bread, cheese.
If it' a big dog put it in a hot dog. That's how I do it.
put it in a treat of some kind they dont chew treats they inhale the treats so they wont even notice that its drugged. good luck.
Take a sausage stuck the pill in the middle and give to your dog - your dog will not know it is there
put peanut butter on it

hide it in a treat of his food

if those dont work open his mouth try to get it near the back and rub his throat to make him swallow.
i try wrapping the pill up into food... like cheese or a piece of meat. you might have to cut it into smaller pieces. good luck
Put it in a treat soft dog food or even a peice of meat. I had to do the same for my dog when she had mange.
Well, if he's used to be handled:

What's always worked for me for both my dogs and cats have been to open their mouth with the thumb and middle finger of my right hand (gently and firmly on the side of the mouth - if you have a medium to giant size dog, you might need to use a few fingers of your left hand as well to pry his mouth open). Then with the thumb and index finger of my left hand I quickly pop the pill as far back in their mouth as possible without scratching them. I then close their mouths, gently tilt their heads and massage their throats until the pill is swallowed. The whole thing shouldn't take more than 30 seconds. The faster and more confident you are, the less unpleasant it is for the animal. My pets always go right back to what they were doing before being given the pill, sometimes I have the impression that they barely even notice it, especially if they're a bit tired.

For some cats and dogs, you can hide the pill in treats. It's never worked for me, though. I've tried it a few times and the result has always been, one treat in pet's stomach, one very soggy pill lying on the floor. :)
Yeah, my dog hates taking pills too. If the pills are chewable, then crush them up into the dog food. You should probably add something to the food to guarantee that they eat it(Meat, Gravy, etc.). If they must be swallowed whole, then the best way is to hold their mouth open and put the pill in the back of the mouth, then hold it shut. This will force them to swallow.
I have given my dog a piece of lunchmeat wrapped up in bread (not much) and threw the pill in there and he eats it.
LOL. Most dogs i know won't just simply eat the pills. You can try putting them in a piece of hotdog or just shove it down their throat then give them a yummy treat after.

No comments:

Post a Comment