Friday, May 21, 2010

What is your idea of reprimanding a dog?


Answers:
On the advice of my dog trainer I grab my dogs muzzle. I do not even speak. The reason for this is in the wild the alpha wolf covers the other wolves moth with his/hers until they submit. She told me it was imporstant to never let go until they are totally calm, and if they do get away go get them and hold the muzzle again. But, do not do it too hard because their jaw could brake, and never let go until they submit. After you do it a couple times they stop trying to get you to let go by shaking their heads and backing away. This really works. I have been doing it for a week now, and it is rather amazing to see the change in my dogs. I was having a hard time with outside manners. It is no longer a problem, and I have only been doing it for a week. Before I would say no in a deep voice, but they learned they could keep doing what they were doing until I really yelled. The trainer also told me for a really bad thing I isolate them for a few minutes because in the wild when a dog/wolf is left a lone they become easy pray, so it is scary for them. I have not done this yet because they are good dogs, and have not done anything to deserve that yet. I was not going to write this, but if we are in the house I growl at them sometimes, too. It works well also, but I do not do it outside infront of people...lol
Saying no, sternly.

Sometimes my dog gets sprayed with the water bottle, but I only use it if he's not listening to me and he's in the act and I can't stop him.
We just got a yorkie puppy - when he is misbehaving I lower my voice and point my finger and say bad doggy - I dont know if it's the lowering of the voice or the fingerpointing - but he bowes his head in shame each time.
I have 2 dogs. I do yell (no) at them when I catch them in a mischievous act. I NEVER hit or hurt them.. they are dogs. I have read that dogs that do bad things when they are bored. Therefore, if your dog is doing bad things check the scenario that you put them in. I also always have bones that they like so that they will not chew my things. A cage should not be a punishment but try cage training to avoid bad acts. Good Luck!
All voice and body language. Never ever hitting.
showing displeasure with him when he does an unwanted behavior. i prefer to use disapproving body posture, low growling like voice and in exteme cases, a scruff shake with direct eye contact. you want to show displeasure the same way a mother dog would... that way you are speaking in terms that the dog understands. - and that means,, you have to catch the dog IN THE ACT of doing the unwanted behavior,, for instance, if your dog takes off and you cannot catch him,, and finally he comes to you,, YOU MUST PRAISE THE ACT OF COMING TO YOU! and ignore the fact that he took off in the first place.. this is the hardest one of all for inexperienced handlers...
Depends on what the infraction was. Anywhere from a "no" to a prong collar correction.
My dog hates water, so we do a little squirt of water from a spritz bottle sometimes. I've also denied her freedom...we have a big back yard where she roams, but we also have a small fenced in area so sometimes I'll put her in there for a bit. Stern voices usually work with her though.
Usually a stern command wether it is "no" or "drop". Leash correction but really I believe in and do use Cesar Milans methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment