Monday, May 24, 2010

What kind of puppy do I have?

I adopted a puppy from a shelter. She is sooooo cute! But, noone can tell us what she is, not even 3 vets! How the heck do we find out? Do we have to wait until she is grown? We have been told anything from a puggle to an English Mastiff! Now come on...THAT'S a stretch! We have been looking on a lot of sites, and she most resembles a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Who can I go to so I can find out for sure! It doesn't really matter to us because she is our precious baby, we are just very curious.
Answers:
Unfortunately, you'll never know for sure. There is no genetic test for breeds, so all you can do is guess by looking at her features. Asking a few vets or dog trainers, people who see different breeds regularly and are familiar with their features, may help. The only useful bit of information breed would give you is approximate full-grown size, which you may already have some idea of. Just have fun with her!
There's really no way of knowing if it's a dog with unknown parentage. She could be a Heinz 57 - a total mutt.

Just enjoy her and love her regardless of what breed she is.
You answered your own question, Do you love her? Then I guess it really doesn't matter does it.
I would try to get a vet to get blood from her and match it to other purebread dogs blood. And then see what kind of purebread or mix it is. Good luck. Also why do u want to know? As long as u love and care for ur cute puppy who cares.
You have done the best you can by finding the breed she most resembles. People will always ask you, like they need to put a label on everything.

I have an 11 year old mixed breed, probably golden retreiver/chow mix from her looks and temperament. It has never mattered to me, but when I have her out in public, I get asked all the time. Once a man said "What is it?" and I said "A girl." He laughed and said that wasn't what he meant so I told him she was a dog.
i have the same problem.i got a 7 month old puppy "Simba" i have been told lab mix, pit mix, shephard mix, rottie mix.no one knows.my vet said that he thinks lab's in there but what else he doesn't know.some times i wonder what he is but i just am thankful that i saved him and that he is a SUPER smart dog...

No comments:

Post a Comment