Friday, May 21, 2010

What kind of dog are suitable for me? Your experience and advise means alot to me!!!?

You see, I don't want small dog, I wanted a medium sizes too large dog that will be obedient not stubborn or aggressive and not display the TOP DOMINANT position on me because I'm a very mellow guy. I live in an apartment and I jogged 4 days a week 30 minute and I want a dog that will do the same that doesn't require exercise that much. I also want my dog to protect me and guard my place and be obedient with me almost all the time. I want them to be wary of stranger until I said it is OK then he will settle down. I want the dog temerament to be strong, courageous, and fearless, not strong will. And a bit gentle sometime. I want my dog to be good at obedient training, and house training. If possible I wish the dog can be house break fast but I know it takes time. Please help me in finding the right canine partner for me.
Answers:
Wow, you are looking for a lot! But some of what you are looking for is entirely up to you.. Some is by making sure that you get the right puppy from the litter..
How can you want a dog that wants to jog 4 days a week, but not a dog that needs much exercise.. The same dog that loves to jog, is the same dog that wants to run and exercise..

You are too picky.. You should get a dog picture..
Bullmastiffs are great, they are large but mellow and don't nee too much excersize. They are natural guard dogs, they look the part but are super soft big babies... They are very intelligent, can learn quickly and housebreak fast.
They LOVE their humans too :o)
get a hound
You want my dog :) (joking) She is a border collie cross Labrador rescue and is EVERYTHING you just listed. The dog will react to how you train them and if you take the "top dog" role from day 1. She is a medium sized pooch and needs 1 good walk a day. My friend has a Jack Russell who is small, she doesn't need loads of exercise and is very attentive. It depends on the dog and history.
I would say that you should go to some sort of dog shelter and talk to them. They can show you a variety of dogs and you can pick one out on the spot. A shelter would know what kind of personality the dog has and what kind of owner it would need. Also shelters are good because you're helping out a dog that needs a home. Try to make sure you find a shelter that test for aggression so that you know the dog will not be aggressive towards you as the new owner. Each dog is different so you need to find one on a one-on-one basis. I hope this helps!
You should go for a Lab...
They are mellow, well-mannered, and very obedient with the right training. They are also very friendly and sociable with other people and dogs. All three types, Yellow, Black, or Chocolate, are wonderful dogs.
They also love exercise, so jogging with you wouldn't be a problem..
You should check with your landlord, though, before you make a decision cause some apartments have weight restrictions and stuff like that.
Good luck!!!
I have had tons of breeds of dogs I loved each dog but I only fell in love with Labrador Retrievers. They are great dogs very loving devoted highly intelligent and easy to train. The Lab I have now protects me and is very leary of strangers until I say it is okay, however generally Labs are not guard dogs. But they do fit your other criteria. You may want to consider a Boxer. They fit what you listed to a T. Dobermans also. You want to stay away from terriers only cause they can be pretty stuborn and at times hard to train. The Rottweilers are great dogs but are VERY strong willed and will challenge your dominance position. I would say either a Boxer or a Doberman but the Boxer maybe your best bet.
Check up on the AKC (American Kennel Club) for breed descriptions. If you want a med- large with a lot of the qualities you are describing I'd look into a Boxer.

But again do research before you adopt- it is a life changing comitment for both of you
i reckon you are asking for too much but if you jog regularly and would be interested i n obedience etc a collie might be a thought however all dogs can be stubborn i have a small spaniel who although he protects the house is very stubborn terriers are the same
the large breeds like danes and mastiffs would prob not be up for jogging why not a beagle or something similar ?
think your asking a bit much if you want all those things why not consult a behaviourist many will give an opinion on the dog they think is suitable after asking more detail about your lifestyle
Almost any dog will fit the description if you take the time to work with it. You may want to visit your local animal shelter. Sometimes they have dogs that are already trained. I would stay away from strong willed breeds such as Pit Bulls and Rotts, Dobermans, Shar Pei, Chow, or Akita. You could have some problems with these. I would also like to recommend a book for you - "The Latchkey Dog". It really helps with training and understanding your relationship with your pet. Good luck to you, and remember to spay or neuter your new friend. As a Veterinary Technician student, I see too many that aren't.
The things you want in a dog are traits from amny different breeds.
How much time are you willing to spend grooming and does sheding drive you nuts? How much time are you willing to put into training. Dogs do not train themselves and you are going to have to make time to train.
Many small and toy breeds as well as sight hounds can be hard to housebreak.
Labs are easy going and not always super active easier to train than some and can be protective but they SHED alot.
They are not a dominant type breed.
Look closely at your lifestyle and pick something that fits in well with the amount of time you are willing to devote to a dog. Look at www.akc.org at the different breeds and get the general info from there. Also if you want more info they have lots of breeder referals and rescue griups for certain breeds where you can get all the info you could ever need.
They do take up lots of time and they take much effort to get trained. But many people find they are well worth the time and it is a great way to realx and enjoy life.
Wow, you are asking for one hell of a lot from a dog.
In terms of the guarding, if you are asking a dog to be happy to protect you and your home but also to not be top dog (or have asperations to being so) then you may end up with a bit of a confused dog - they won't know if their role is to be in charge or whether to let you do it. Also, guarding breeds do tend to have some status related problems so when you ask them to do something they quite often would like to see why it would be worth doing it (compared to a breed that wants to do it just to please you).
You don't get many dogs who are strong, courageous, and fearless without a strong will of their own.
There is also the consideration of if you work, what hours are you out. You have to think about whether your dog would be enjoying life while you are out.
I would urge you to strongly consider whether this is the right time for you to get a dog - I'm sure this won't make me that popular with you but I'm just thinking about how hard it will be for a dog to meet up to your expectations.

If you are not too worried about the guarding aspect then I would go for a greyhound. Beautiful gentle dogs that don't need too much exercise and are lovely in the home.
What you describe is a perfect dog. There are no perfect dogs. If you get a puppy, all of these requirements will be up to YOU, not the pup, in the way you handle and train it. It takes up to a year to train a pup and you still will not have a perfect dog. If you get an older dog, it will have habits of it's own and probably not ever meet your standards.

Speak with a certified dog trainer or a veterinarian's office for advice.
Go to the shelter, I'm sure you'll find something to your liking. As far as not needing "much" exercise, maybe look for something with a more portly shape, or shorter legs. As far as purebreed, a Blue Heeler immediately came to mind. You will most likely want a dog in mid-adulthood (3-5 years), because then you get the full scope of what you're dealing with. At the shelter, they generally have a yard where you can "try out" the dogs so to speak, that is, play with the ones you may be interested in. I HIGHLY recommend a shelter pet, as you will not only gain a friend, you will also be saving a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment