Monday, May 24, 2010

What kind of Dog food should I feed my dog?

I have a large dog that we currently feed Nutro Natural Choice for large dogs with lamb and rice. I just want to know if I can be doing better or is this dog food good? Its first ingrediant is lamb meal, but aint I supposed to be avoiding things with the word meal in it? Thanks
Answers:
Lamb meal is fine.. You want to avoid things like
poultry by products, animal meal, fish meal, animal digest, corn wheat, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, bha/bht, ethoxyquin, dyes, sugars, fillers.

You are actually getting more meat protein using lamb meal than if the first ingredient was just plain old lamb.

Avoid Beneful, Pedigree, Ol Roy, Kibbles N Bits, Iams, Eukanuba, Science Diet. All Purina products. . Etc.. VERY Crappy dog foods, no nutritional value at all.. It's actually cheaper to feed a good quality food. As they eat less overall.
IAMS dog food
CANIDAE
or
TIMBERWOLF
or
CHICKEN SOUP for Dog LOver

you do not want to see corn and any BY products.become a label reader
Does it matter???
i switched my large puppy from regular Nutro to Nutro Ultra. My friend did some research and is feeding her large pup, Natural Balance, by Dick Van Patten OR Chicken Soup for the Soul Puppy food.
this is a good dogfood.
Beneful gourmet
Just so you know, Iams (as the top answer suggested) is one of the worst dog foods. I went to one of their production facilities and loads of sick and cancerous cows went into the dry and wet food.
Try royal canin
timberwolf
burns (expensive from england)

As long as the food is designed for large dogs, he will be OK. Nutro choice is a very well known brand. Always (try your best) tdo use free range and organic meats. The first item on the list of ingredients should be meat. Try to feed lamb, beef, tripe (cows stomach, or chicken.

Charlotte
I use Natures Variety for my 2 young Shelties and 17 year old Sheltie. The lamb meal is better than just lamb. A great resource for dog food and natural dog care is a publication called The Whole Dog Journal. No ads here just straight talk about dogs and the best products for them.
Nutro is a good food. I use Nutro Pro Choice for large breeds. She loves it and it keeps her healthy.
You don't have to avoid food with the word meat in it. If your looking to upgrade your dogs food with all natural foods I suggest going to a feed store that's were I get my dogs food. The brand that I feed them is pro pack. Its a wonderful food. They also make food that is what they call live food its basically nothing but meat and nothing else. This food you also don't have to give them alot to keep them full

No comments:

Post a Comment